Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Bremen - GERMANY - UNESCO #1087

This beautiful official card shows a photo of the Town Hall and the statue of Roland on the marketplace of Bremen in north-west Germany, where this postcrosser lives. Even knowing that it's a UNESCO site I already have on my collection she sent it to me because of the official UNESCO seal it have on the back. Thank you so much Birgit for this card and the amazing special edition stamp and cancelation mark with a WHS, I love it! Unfortunately I can't understand large part of the message you wrote, because you have such a curly handwrite (don't get me wrong, it's beautiful and I never seen my address written in such a awesome way). This postcard took 3 days to arrive!
 
UNESCO #1087 - Town Hall and Roland in Bremen - GERMANY
  
The Town Hall and the statue of Roland on the marketplace of Bremen in north-west Germany are outstanding representations of civic autonomy and sovereignty, as these developed in the Holy Roman Empire in Europe. The old town hall was built in the Gothic style in the early 15th century, after Bremen joined the Hanseatic League. The statue stands 5.5 m tall and dates back to 1404.
 
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment