Monday, June 09, 2014

Warsaw - POLAND - UNESCO #30

The Old Town of Warsaw was almost totally rebuild after World War II so visiting it is almost like time-traveling because everything was made preserving the original constructions (I specially remember the Old Castle - the glitter of the crystals, the smell of brand new velvet curtains and wood floors... it was one of the most amazing castle visits I ever had). Thank you very much Ningere, now that I have your card it really made me think that it's almost incredible how, in more than a year of postcrossing, it's my first Warsaw card and finally I can strike it from my UNESCO list (396 down, 585 to go). This postcard took 13 days to arrive!
 
UNESCO #30 - Historic Centre of Warsaw - POLAND
  
During the Warsaw Uprising in August 1944, more than 85% of Warsaw's historic centre was destroyed by Nazi troops. After the war, a five-year reconstruction campaign by its citizens resulted in today's meticulous restoration of the Old Town, with its churches, palaces and market-place. It is an outstanding example of a near-total reconstruction of a span of history covering the 13th to the 20th century.
  
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment