Thursday, June 05, 2014

Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus - INDIA - UNESCO #945

I'm not obsessed with trains like some friends I have, but one of the things I like to visit when abroad are train and underground stations - there's something about their architecture that attracts me. The Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (old Victoria Terminus Station in Bombay) is one of the most famous train stations in Asia, seen and described several times in movies and books and of course a place I would love to visit one day. Thank you very much Ankita, your card is my 395th WHS, 586 more and I'm done! This postcard took 10 days to arrive!
  
UNESCO #945 - Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Mumbai - INDIA
  
The Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, formerly known as Victoria Terminus Station, in Mumbai, is an outstanding example of Victorian Gothic Revival architecture in India, blended with themes deriving from Indian traditional architecture. The building, designed by the British architect F. W. Stevens, became the symbol of Bombay as the ‘Gothic City’ and the major international mercantile port of India. The terminal was built over 10 years, starting in 1878, according to a High Victorian Gothic design based on late medieval Italian models.
  
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment