Thursday, May 15, 2014

Vatican City, Holy See - VATICAN - UNESCO #286

After the San Marino cards I got last week, my good friend Tsvetana sent me another treasure from her Easter holidays with her husband Pavel - a postcard written and stamped from Vatican City, showing the St Peters Basilica and Square. Thank you so much Tsveti for your trouble and time spending helping building my UNESCO collection (I went there back in 2009 when I visited Rome and I remember being in the Vatican post office line for almost one hour to get some stamps!), you're great! I now have 381 WHS, only 600 to finish (easy peasy!) and a new sovereign state to add to my label list. This postcard took 6 days to arrive!

UNESCO #286 - St. Peters, Vatican City - HOLY SEE
 
The Vatican City, one of the most sacred places in Christendom, attests to a great history and a formidable spiritual venture. A unique collection of artistic and architectural masterpieces lie within the boundaries of this small state. At its centre is St Peter's Basilica, with its double colonnade and a circular piazza in front and bordered by palaces and gardens. The basilica, erected over the tomb of St Peter the Apostle, is the largest religious building in the world, the fruit of the combined genius of Bramante, Raphael, Michelangelo, Bernini and Maderno.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment