Monday, May 26, 2014

Toruń - POLAND - UNESCO #835

Only a week after getting my first card from Toruń, today I received another one, so I guess I've arranged two swaps of the same site without noticing, but I glad I did it because this was sent precisely from Toruń so I have a card sent from exact location (and luckily in the cancellation mail stamp is really easy to read Toruń). Thank you very much for your card  Wiltoria, you live in a wonderful city. This postcard took 6 days to arrive!

Medieval Town of Toruń - POLAND - UNESCO #835
 
Toruń owes its origins to the Teutonic Order, which built a castle there in the mid-13th century as a base for the conquest and evangelization of Prussia. It soon developed a commercial role as part of the Hanseatic League. In the Old and New Town, the many imposing public and private buildings from the 14th and 15th centuries (among them the house of Copernicus) are striking evidence of Torun's importance.
  
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment