Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Škocjan Caves - SLOVENIA - UNESCO #390

My first postcards from Slovenia arrived today - I went to this beautiful country some years ago and my most vivid memory is precisely the visit to the Škocjan Caves. I love caves and I've seen a lot of them all over Europe, but none have impressed me has much as this ones, specially when I crossed that bridge you can see in the 3rd card (simply amazing... I almost felt transported to the Moria mines of 'The Lord of the Rings'). Thank you very much Sonja for this awesome cards that bring me back great memories and rise my UNESCO WHS collection to 379 (602 to finish). This postcard took 6 days to arrive!
  
UNESCO #390 - The Škocjan Caves - SLOVENIA
UNESCO #390 - The Škocjan Caves - SLOVENIA
UNESCO #390 - The Škocjan Caves - SLOVENIA
   
This exceptional system of limestone caves comprises collapsed dolines, some 6 km of underground passages with a total depth of more than 200 m, many waterfalls and one of the largest known underground chambers. The site, located in the Kras region (literally meaning Karst), is one of the most famous in the world for the study of karstic phenomena.
  
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment