Monday, May 12, 2014

Sandeman's "the Don" - PORTUGAL

Sandeman was among the first Port wine companies to label and advertise its wines, more than a century ago. The iconic image of a man dressed like the Spanish 'caballeros' (of the Jerez wine region) but with a traditional Portuguese student cape, designed by George Massiot, became a worldwide symbol of the great Port wine industry. To be honest Sandeman is not my favorite brand, but it's cleary in the top 5 of my preference. I've found this vintage postcard in a small bookstore and I couldn't resist in sending it to myself... I just love vintage advertisement. This postcard took 11 days to arrive!
  
'The Don', George Massiot (1928) - PORTUGAL
  
In 1928 George Massiot Brown was an artist working for the Lochend Printing company, who approached Sandeman for business. Sandeman requested some designs for posters, and the remarkable silhouette of the Don was born. Recognised throughout the world, The Don represents the mystery and sensuality that communicates the Sandeman brand.
  
  
  

1 comment:

  1. this is the first guy i saw when i landed in portugal xD

    ReplyDelete