Friday, May 02, 2014

Rock Sites of Cappadocia - TURKEY - UNESCO #357

My first stop in Turkey was Uçhisar, near the Göreme valley in the heart of Cappadocia. There I spent two amazing days hiking on the desert, totally flabbergasted by the strange beauty of the rock formations (like the fairy chimneys you can see on the card) and the ancient Hittite cities. On the dawn of the second day I gather enough courage to rise myself from the bed at 4:30 AM and watch the sunrise 300m above ground on my first hot air balloon ride of my life. The experience was much better than my expectations, floating freely on that calm breeze during almost 2 hours while watching the desert with that strong colors and reflexions of the first rays of sun. I read somewhere that Cappadocia is considered the second best place in the world for hot air ballooning (the first is Kenya) and I can't find enough words to describe the beauty of that ride - if you ever have the chance to do it, don't hesitate, you'll never forget it! This postcard took 17 days to arrive!
 
UNESCO #357 - The Fairy Chimneys, Uçhisar - TURKEY

UNESCO #357 - Nevşehir, Cappadocia - TURKEY

Hot Air Ballooning in Cappadocia - TURKEY
    
In a spectacular landscape, entirely sculpted by erosion, the Göreme valley and its surroundings contain rock-hewn sanctuaries that provide unique evidence of Byzantine art in the post-Iconoclastic period. Dwellings, troglodyte villages and underground towns – the remains of a traditional human habitat dating back to the 4th century – can also be seen there.
     
    
      

No comments:

Post a Comment