Friday, May 02, 2014

Cağaloğlu Hamamı, Istanbul - TURKEY

The Turkish Bath experience is of course one of the must do things when you visit Istanbul... I had it available at the hotel Spa of course, along with sauna and swimming pool but I was looking for something more unique, so when I saw that Cağaloğlu Hamamı in the Old Town was listed in the book “1000 Places To See Before You Die” I decided to go for it, and it was the perfect way to finish my trip - of course in my wild fantasy I would be bathed and massaged by two beautiful girls and not by one fat strong men with a big mustache that made all my bones and joints crack, but I have to admit that after all those days of walking and hiking, it felt amazing - the building is beautiful and you really feel like a sultan after all the baths and massages. This postcard took 15 days to arrive!
  
Cağaloğlu Hamamı, Istanbul - TURKEY
   
Public baths originally founded by the Romans, who passed the tradition on to the Byzantines and from them to the Turks.Baths were a public utility because of water shortages and provided a perfect marriage between the Koran's demand for cleanliness and the pleasure of corporal indulgence in a beautiful setting. Cağaloğlu Hamamı is one of the oldest Turkish baths in the world, with 300 years of continuous business. It have cleaned among others Cameron Diaz, Omar Sharif, Tony Curtis, Kaiser Wilhelm and Florence Nightingale.
 
 
  

2 comments:

  1. Lovely ceiling with the sunlight coming through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed Sami and it's not a photo editing trick... it's awesome to be lying down on those marble benches looking at the sun-rays that enter the ceiling!

    ReplyDelete