Thursday, April 10, 2014

Valletta - MALTA - UNESCO #131

Malta is one of those places I've already thought of visiting more than a dozen times (amost every Easter break I think of that), but for some reason I always pick another place to go... the more I read about that island and its beaches and specially all the historic routes of that city ruled by almost every civilizations, the more I wish to go there soon. This beautiful card was sent from Italy, by a postcrosser that went there last summer and loved it. Thank you very much Sofia, for this card, my 2nd UNESCO WHS from Malta and the 349th on my collection (only 632 missing). This postcard took 2 days to arrive!
 
UNESCO #131 - City of Valletta - MALTA
 
Valletta is pre-eminently an ideal creation of the late Renaissance with its uniform urban plan, inspired by neo-Platonic principles, its fortified and bastioned walls modelled around the natural site, and the voluntary implantation of great monuments in well-chosen locations. The capital of Malta was ruled successively by the Phoenicians, Greeks, Carthaginians, Romans, Byzantines, Arabs and the Order of the Knights of St John. Valletta’s 320 monuments, all within an area of 55 ha, make it one of the most concentrated historic areas in the world.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment