Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Struve Geodetic Arc - BELARUS - UNESCO #1187

This is a very special card, for several reasons... first of all it was sent by Elena from Belarus (another regular reader of this blog) when she noticed I was still missing this site, second is another strike of the 10 country WHS called Struve Geodetic Card (4 down, 6 to go) and the cherry on the top of the cake is that with this card I complete all the Belarus UNESCO World Heritage Sites (now we can start working on the 11 tentatives in your country)! Thank you so much Lena, believe me when I say that I already thought once or twice in stopping this blog because it takes much of my free time, but the feeling that there are people like you (and Sami, Monika, Agi, Tsveti, Jason and so many others... more than 24.000 visits now, I would never guessed when I started this blog a year ago) reading me gives me the strenght to go on! This postcard took 19 days to arrive!
  
UNESCO #1187 - Struve Geodetic Arc - BELARUS
   
The Struve Arc is a chain of survey triangulations stretching from Hammerfest in Norway to the Black Sea, through 10 countries and over 2,820 km. These are points of a survey, carried out between 1816 and 1855 by the astronomer Friedrich Georg Wilhelm Struve, which represented the first accurate measuring of a long segment of a meridian.
  
   
   

2 comments:

  1. We all like your blog :)
    I like this card with WHS and other cards painted by this Belarusian artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Lena... it's a wonderful card, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete