Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Ta Prohm Temple, Angkor Thom - CAMBODIA - UNESCO #668

This is probably my favorite postcard from the bunch that Du sent me (that sunset over Angkor Wat is wonderful, but still something common to see). Why? It's easy, it makes me rewind more than 30 years and feel like that little boy who read the books by Jules Verne, Emilio Salgari or H. Rider Haggard and used to dream on traveling to distant locations, finding ancient lost civilizations and lots of hidden treasures. And even knowing that Angkor is nowadays a mass tourism destination, I really would love to go there and feel that little adventurer inside me - meanwhile and until I win the lottery, I have a warm feeling while I stare to this awesome cards. Thank you very much Du for this amazing swap (almost as good as the epic Sri Lanka swap). This postcard took 12 days to arrive!
 
UNESCO #668 - Ta Prohm, Angkor - CAMBODIA
 
Angkor is one of the most important archaeological sites in South-East Asia. Stretching over some 400 km2, including forested area, Angkor Archaeological Park contains the magnificent remains of the different capitals of the Khmer Empire, from the 9th to the 15th century. They include the famous Temple of Angkor Wat and, at Angkor Thom, the Bayon Temple with its countless sculptural decorations. UNESCO has set up a wide-ranging programme to safeguard this symbolic site and its surroundings.
 
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment