Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Stralsund - GERMANY - UNESCO #1067

The second card I've got from Manuela is my last German UNESCO World Heritage Site! Even knowing that I still need postcards from some sites (that include several locations), I can now say that Germany is complete, because I finally have cards from the 38 list entries. Thank you so much Manuela, I must confess that I never heard anything about Stralsund, but I think I'll never forget this name (and Weimar as well) and I will laugh really loud if I visit it one day, remembering this card. Well now, I reach 363 sites in my collection, only 618 missing and, I don't know if I told you already, but I've completed Germany (it took me more than one year, my first UNESCO from Germany was sent on May 7th 2013)! This postcard took 4 days to arrive!
 
UNESCO #1067 - Historic Center of Stralsund - GERMANY
 
The medieval towns of Wismar and Stralsund, on the Baltic coast of northern Germany, were major trading centres of the Hanseatic League in the 14th and 15th centuries. In the 17th and 18th centuries they became Swedish administrative and defensive centres for the German territories. They contributed to the development of the characteristic building types and techniques of Brick Gothic in the Baltic region, as exemplified in several important brick cathedrals, the Town Hall of Stralsund, and the series of houses for residential, commercial and crafts use, representing its evolution over several centuries.
  
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment