Thursday, April 10, 2014

John Bauer (Maxi-card) - SWEDEN

I've never had seen a maxi-card before joining Postcrossing but I must tell you it was love at first sight, they're great - I don't have many (this is my 12th) because it's not easy to find them in Portugal so I don't have any to swap, but now and then I get one and it's really nice, specially when it's a official because it's a total surprse. This one is simply awesome, issued on the February 16th, 1982 in memory of John Bauer, a famous Swedish illustrator I must confess I didn't knew about (but after searching online I discovered he was the artistic inspiration for the motion picture 'The Dark Crystal' by Jim Henson, a movie I really like). The name of the painting is 'Now the dusk of the night is already upon us' - beautiful. Thank you so much Camilla for the amazing card and the stamps you used with Zlatan Ibrahimovic. This postcard took 7 days to arrive!
 
"Now the dusk of the night is already upon us"
 
John Bauer (4 June 1882 – 20 November 1918) was a Swedish painter and illustrator best known for his illustrations of Bland tomtar och troll (Among Gnomes and Trolls). John Bauer was born and raised in Jönköping with his two brothers and sister. At sixteen, he set off for Stockholm to study art, and after two years he entered the Royal Swedish Academy of Arts. Bauer's early work was influenced to a large extent by Albert Engström and Carl Larsson, two contemporaries and influential painters.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment