Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Angkor Wat, Siem Reap - CAMBODIA - UNESCO #668

My friend Du, a postcrosser and stamp colector from Singapore has a close friend that lives in Cambodia - he went there last summer and bought a pile of postcards, mainly with Angkor Wat, probably the most famous site of the Kingdom of Cambodia worldwide and of course another of those places I have in my bucket list since I was a toddler. Today I got a envelope sent from Singapore with 7 amazing postcards from Cambodia in exchange for some special edition stamps I sent him last month. Thank you very much Du for this swap and for taking the time to write a message on each card - I've learned a lot of interesting things about Siem Reap (like the meaning of the name for instance). This cards (even if not sent from the country of origin) are a trully wonderful addition to my UNESCO collection. 343 WHS down, only 638 to go. This postcards took 12 days to arrive!
 


 
Angkor is one of the most important archaeological sites in South-East Asia. Stretching over some 400 km2, including forested area, Angkor Archaeological Park contains the magnificent remains of the different capitals of the Khmer Empire, from the 9th to the 15th century. They include the famous Temple of Angkor Wat and, at Angkor Thom, the Bayon Temple with its countless sculptural decorations. UNESCO has set up a wide-ranging programme to safeguard this symbolic site and its surroundings.
   
 
  

1 comment: