Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Siena - ITALY - UNESCO #717

Siena is a mythical place for me since I was a little boy and saw on TV images of the famous (and dangerous) horse races that are held in the giant Piazza del Campo that we can see in this aerial view postcard. I never managed to visit Siena and I don't know if I will ever go there during the Palio horse race, but it's one of the oldest entries I have on my bucket list. Thank you very much Edo for another great swap and for making my UNESCO collection grow to 322 WHS, only 659 to finish. This postcard took 14 days to arrive!
  
UNESCO #717 - Siena Historic Center - ITALY
  
Siena is the embodiment of a medieval city. Its inhabitants pursued their rivalry with Florence right into the area of urban planning. Throughout the centuries, they preserved their city's Gothic appearance, acquired between the 12th and 15th centuries. During this period the work of Duccio, the Lorenzetti brothers and Simone Martini was to influence the course of Italian and, more broadly, European art. The whole city of Siena, built around the Piazza del Campo, was devised as a work of art that blends into the surrounding landscape.
     
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment