Thursday, March 06, 2014

Segovia - SPAIN - UNESCO #311

The second card I've got from my sweet friend Ana shows the amazing Alcázar of Segovia, a town best known for the giant Roman aqueduct, but the Alcázar is for me the most beautiful thing to see there (I remember very well my first visit to this place, I was still a child and went there with my parents and it was the first time I saw a collection of medieval knight armors, for men and horse, just like the movie Excalibur... I was delirious that day). Thank you so much Ana, I love this card (and I love your spanish too... "besos!"). As for my collection, I now have 321, only 660 to complete it (almost there!). This postcard took 3 days to arrive!

UNESCO #311 - Old Town of Segovia (Alcázar) - SPAIN

Segovia is indicative of a complex historical reality. Its neighbourhoods, streets, and houses are laid out in accordance with a social structure in which hierarchy was overshadowed by belonging to one of the different cultural communities. The Roman aqueduct of Segovia, probably built c. A.D. 50, is remarkably well preserved. This impressive construction, with its two tiers of arches, forms part of the setting of the magnificent historic city of Segovia. Other important monuments include the Alcázar, begun around the 11th century, and the 16th-century Gothic cathedral.


No comments:

Post a Comment