Friday, March 28, 2014

Ngorongoro - TANZANIA - UNESCO #39

The first card received from Tanzania arrived today! My good friend Jason from Canada went there on a hiking expedition with a group of friends and climbed the Kilimanjaro - in Arusha he found the time to write me this card under the African Sun (only more 50ºC than in Canada) and I'm really glad he managed to do it. Thanks a million Jason, first of all let me congratulate you for your successful climb and second for sending me this precious addition to my UNESCO collection, my first from that extraordinary country I had the luck to visit back in 2005 (without climbing the Kili, but spending some glorious days in Zanzibar). So, let's update the numbers to 329 WHS, 652 to reach the end. This postcard took 24 days to arrive!

UNESCO #39 - Ngorongoro Conservation Area - TANZANIA
 
The Ngorongoro Conservation Area spans vast expanses of highland plains, savanna, savanna woodlands and forests, with wildlife coexisting with semi-nomadic Maasai pastoralists practicing traditional livestock grazing, it includes the spectacular Ngorongoro Crater, the world’s largest caldera. The property has global importance for biodiversity conservation due to the presence of globally threatened species, the density of wildlife inhabiting the area, and the annual migration of wildebeest, zebra, gazelles and other animals into the northern plains. Extensive archaeological research has also yielded a long sequence of evidence of human evolution and human-environment dynamics, including early hominid footprints dating back 3.6 million years.
  
  
 

4 comments:

  1. That's a unique one! I'm really jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jealousy it's such a ugly thing... shame on you! ;)

      Delete
  2. it's the good kind of jealousy ;) It makes me want a Tanzanian postcard, too :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that and I totally understand you, there are lots of cards in your blog that make me feel the same... if you ever get tired of collecting postcars and decide to get rid of your collection, remember me! :-)

      Delete