Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Leiria - PORTUGAL

Last week on Father's Day (in Portugal we celebrate it on March 19th) I went to Leiria where my father is buried and afterwards, while walking on the narrow streets of the historic center (a walk I made with him many times in the past) I've found this vintage card on a little shop... it doesn't say the date on the back, but I'm positively sure this picture was taken on the late 70s or early 80s, so at the time I lived there. Holding this card kind of moved me so I bought it and decided to send it to myself and now post it here in memory of the most important man in my life that unfortunately left this world 10 years ago. Thank you father for everything! This postcard took 6 days to arrive!

Leiria Castle, seen from Central Park (80s) - PORTUGAL
 
Leiria is a city and Municipality in the Centro Region of Portugal, a growing modern city on the banks of the Liz River. With a hilltop castle, an inviting old quarter, and good transportation links, it is a good place to stay for those who also want to explore Nazaré, Fátima, or the UNESCO classified abbeys of Batalha and Alcobaça. The imposing castle can be seen from any point in town. In the 14th century it served as a summer royal palace for King Dinis and his queen, and included a Gothic church now in ruins. 
  
  
  

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about your Dad, he must have been quite young still.
    Leiria is a pretty town, I have many friends living there and used to go there once in a while to visit them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sami... He was 71, not that young but far from old!
    Leiria it's Ok, but I really prefer Aveiro where I really grew and studied (I live in Fundão now since 2003 but I always say Aveiro is my hometown!)

    ReplyDelete