Monday, March 31, 2014

Lake Baikal - RUSSIA - UNESCO #754

This postcard has one of the most amazing pictures showing ice I've ever seen - it was made on Lake Baikal in Siberia, another of those destinations I have on my Bucket List specially after the Wild Russia Special I saw on National Geographic recently (yes, I know that my travel bucket list is huge, but I'm a irremediable dreamer and I like to believe that I'll manage to see them all).  Thanks a lot Masha for the awesome card and for using a Sochi 2014 stamp. My UNESCO collection grows to 332, 649 to finish. This postcard took 17 days to arrive!

UNESCO #754 - Lake Baikal, Siberia - RUSSIA
   
Situated in south-east Siberia, the 3.15-million-ha Lake Baikal is the oldest (25 million years) and deepest (1,700 m) lake in the world. It contains 20% of the world's total unfrozen freshwater reserve. Known as the 'Galapagos of Russia', its age and isolation have produced one of the world's richest and most unusual freshwater faunas, which is of exceptional value to evolutionary science.
  
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment