Monday, February 10, 2014

Bamberg - GERMANY - UNESCO #624

The third card Michaela sent me is from the Town of Bamberg a place with more that 1000 years of history (another place I've never heard about until now, thanks to postcrossing). One of the reasons it is a UNESCO WHS is because its architecture strongly influenced the constructions in Germany and Hungary... ok, now I'm wondering if 1000 years in the future people will admire the Berlin Modernism Housing Estates (yes I know, I should leave the Berlin houses issue). Thank you som much Michaela, you really helped my UNESCO collection, now I have postcars from 299 diferent sites (30/39 from Germany!), only 682 to complete it. This postcard took 7 days to arrive!

UNESCO #624 - Town of Bamberg - GERMANY
 
From the 10th century onwards, this town became an important link with the Slav peoples, especially those of Poland and Pomerania. During its period of greatest prosperity, from the 12th century onwards, the architecture of Bamberg strongly influenced northern Germany and Hungary. In the late 18th century it was the centre of the Enlightenment in southern Germany, with eminent philosophers and writers such as Hegel and Hoffmann living there.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment