Thursday, February 20, 2014

Petäjävesi Old Church - FINLAND - UNESCO #584

This official postcard came from Finland and it shows the ancient wooden church of Petäjävesi; it's the third one I get from this site, but I like it, because it shows a different angle from those I already have. The sender really want to send me a card with the church because it's the only UNESCO WHS in Finland she already visited more than once. Thank you so much Elina, for taking the time to check my collection and avoid duplicates, I'm very glad with that and I really don't mind getting several cards from the same place as long as they aren't exactly equal. This postcard took 4 days to arrive! 
 
UNESCO #584 - Petäjävesi Old Church - FINLAND
 
Petäjävesi Old Church, in central Finland, was built of logs between 1763 and 1765. This Lutheran country church is a typical example of an architectural tradition that is unique to eastern Scandinavia. It combines the Renaissance conception of a centrally planned church with older forms deriving from Gothic groin vaults.
  
    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment