Monday, February 03, 2014

Church of Moldavia - ROMANIA - UNESCO #598

The last card of today is this amazing Romanian church in the region of Moldavia. More than the beautiful architecture, the unique thing about this eight religious buildings are the amazing paintings that cover the exterior walls. Thank you very much Daniela, I really love the card you sent me. Ok, about my collection, 287 down, 694 to go. This postcard took 8 days to arrive!

UNESCO #598 - Biserica Mânastirii Moldovita (1532) - ROMANIA
 
The eight churches of northern Moldavia, built from the late 15th century to the late 16th century with their external walls covered in fresco paintings, are masterpieces inspired by Byzantine art. They are authentic and particularly well preserved. Far from being mere wall decorations, the paintings form a systematic covering on all the facades and represent complete cycles of religious themes.Their exceptional composition, the elegance of the characters, and the harmony of the colors blend perfectly with the surrounding countryside. 

  
 

3 comments:

  1. So beautiful view :)

    As my husband is from Moldova, I like all connected with him country. Romania is just neighboring country, however they have so many common features :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a postcard with this church as well, just a different angle. Churches are my least favourite thing on postcard but I absolutely love this one. And the colours, simply make me want to go there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those churches look really beautiful indeed... when I went to Romania I only had time to do 3 day tour through Transylvania - hopefully I'll go to Moldavia region next time (and maybe Moldova, who knows?) :)

    ReplyDelete