Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Ajuda National Palace - LISBON

Today I had a big surprise on my mailbox. A member of the POSTCROSSING Forum, knowing my love for vintage postcards sent me a big envelope with a wonderful letter and a bunch of beautiful vintage cards. This one shows the "Palácio Nacional da Ajuda" in Lisbon, originally a Royal residence, currently a great cultural center and very popular among tourists - it's been a long time since my last visit, I really must return there. Thank you very much Gracinha for remembering me and for this nice surprise. This postcard took 5 days to arrive!
 
Ajuda National Palace, Lisbon - PORTUGAL
 
The Ajuda National Palace is a neoclassical monument in the civil parish of Ajuda in the city of Lisbon, central Portugal. Built on the site of a temporary wooden building constructed to house the Royal family after the 1755 earthquake and tsunami, it was planned a late Baroque-Rococo building. Later, it was entrusted to José da Costa e Silva and Francisco Xavier Fabri, who planned a magnificent building in the modern neoclassical style.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment