Friday, January 03, 2014

The Potala Palace in Lhasa, Tibet - CHINA - UNESCO #707

This is one of the most beautiful cards I've received from China since I've started my collection. What a gorgeous photo! Thank you very much Heng Yao - you're planning in visiting Tibet? I wish you a wonderful time there (it's one of those places I have in my bucket list that I really hope I can manage to visit one day). Now I have 253 UNESCO sites, only 728 to finish. This postcard took 26 days to arrive!
 
UNESCO #707 - Potala Palace, Lhasa, Tibet - CHINA
 
The Potala Palace, winter palace of the Dalai Lama since the 7th century, symbolizes Tibetan Buddhism and its central role in the traditional administration of Tibet. The complex, comprising the White and Red Palaces with their ancillary buildings, is built on Red Mountain in the centre of Lhasa Valley, at an altitude of 3,700m. The beauty and originality of the architecture of these sites, their rich ornamentation and harmonious integration in a striking landscape, add to their historic and religious interest.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment