Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Persepolis - IRAN - UNESCO #114

As I said, today was a great day to my mailbox; waiting for me, along with other great cards were this two awesome postcards from the Islamic Republic of Iran. Located about 650km south of Teheran the ruins of the legendary place that Alexander the Great burned only to prove his power still overwhelm visitors and archeologists. Thank you very much Pavla for this extraordinary addition to my collection. This postcard took 22 days to arrive!
 
UNESCO #114 - Imperial Treasury Bas-Relief - Persepolis - IRAN
  
Founded by Darius I in 518 B.C., Persepolis was the capital of the Achaemenid Empire. It was built on an immense half-artificial, half-natural terrace, where the king of kings created an impressive palace complex inspired by Mesopotamian models. The importance and quality of the monumental ruins make it a unique archaeological site.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment