Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Imperial Palace, Beijing - CHINA - UNESCO #439

Today I only receive one card, a postcard from China sent in September 29th (date on the mail stamp)! I wonder where it went for three and a half months. To be honest I had lost hope of receiving this card... but I finally got it and so, my UNESCO collection now have one of the most iconic buildings in China, the Imperial Palace in Beijing (the WHS will only be complete when I get a card from Shenyang, but I'll mark the entry in the list right away). Thank you very much Heng Yao, patience is a virtue and this time really paid off - 266 WHS down, 715 to go. This postcard took 107 days to arrive!  
 
UNESCO #439 - Imperial Palace (Hall of Great Harmony) - CHINA
 
As the royal residences of the emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties from the 15th to 20th century, the Imperial Palaces of the Ming and Qing dynasties in Beijing and Shenyang were the centre of State power in late feudal China.  Seat of supreme power for over five centuries (1416-1911), the Forbidden City in Beijing, with its landscaped gardens and many buildings (whose nearly 10,000 rooms contain furniture and works of art), constitutes a priceless testimony to Chinese civilization during the Ming and Qing dynasties.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment