Friday, January 31, 2014

Archaeo-astronomical Site Kokino - MACEDONIA - UNESCO TENTATIVE

The first postcard I've received from another postcrossing user (a direct swap) back in April 2013 came from Macedonia - I still remember my excitement when I saw it on my mailbox. Well the same user now sent me a awesome postcard of the archaeo-astronomical (amazing word!) near the town of Kokino, used by people from Bronze Age as a observatory. Thank you very much Anita for this beautiful card, my 3rd from Macedonia (all sent by you!) and a UNESCO tentative site (who knows, maybe this year it becomes WHS). This postcard took 4 days to arrive!

Kokino - MACEDONIA - UNESCO TENTATIVE
 
The archaeo-astronomical site, the megalithic observatory "Kokino" is located in the north-eastern part of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, at 19km to the northeast of the town Kumanovo and in the vicinity of the village Kokino. Administratively it belongs to the municipality Staro Nagorichane. It comprises an area with a surface of 100m in the direction east-west and 50m in the direction north-south, at the peak of the imposing rocky hill called Tatichev kamen. It is at an elevation of 1013 m.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment