Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Nessebar - BULGARIA - UNESCO #217

 The Ancient City of Nessebar on the Burgas Province is currently one of the most popular cruise ships destination in Bulgaria, but its roots go back more that 30 centuries (remember what I told you yesterday Jason?). This amazing postcard show a coloured picture of the late 19th century with the city an its surroundings. According to Tsvetana the mill is still there, one of the few in the Black Sea coast that survived. Thank you very much Tsveti, as you know I love vintage cards and when they're from a new UNESCO site for my collection even better. Ok now, 241 down, 740 to go. This postcard took 23 days to arrive!

UNESCO #217 - Overview of Nessebar - BULGARIA
 
Situated on a rocky peninsula on the Black Sea, the more than 3,000-year-old site of Nessebar was originally a Thracian settlement (Menebria). At the beginning of the 6th century BC, the city became a Greek colony. The city’s remains, which date mostly from the Hellenistic period, include the acropolis, a temple of Apollo, an agora and a wall from the Thracian fortifications. Among other monuments, the Stara Mitropolia Basilica and the fortress date from the Middle Ages, when this was one of the most important Byzantine towns on the west coast of the Black Sea. Wooden houses built in the 19th century are typical of the Black Sea architecture of the period.


 

5 comments:

  1. Amazing!
    I was in Nessebar last year and saw this bridge between old and new Nessebar. So it's interesting to see it in 2 versions :)
    Now I want to receive this card too :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elena, maybe Tsvetana can send you one... she normally reads my blog, keep your fingers crossed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! :)
    Hehe, Joao was right :) Occasionally I check Joao's updates on his fantastic collection and update myself on what to send him next :D
    Elena, could you please send me a message through Postcrossing
    http://www.postcrossing.com/user/tsvetana
    I would have given my email address directly, but I wouldn't like my email to get into some automated search engine and later get loads of spam :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's your lucky day Elena! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, thanks a lot Joao and Tsvetana!
    It's ok to contact via postcrossing site :)

    ReplyDelete