Thursday, December 12, 2013

Hagia Sophia, Istanbul - TURKEY - UNESCO #356

I dream of visiting the old Constantinople since I was a young kid. Until I get the chance to do it, I can keep dreaming on, with the nice help of postcards. Thank you very much Onder for another amazing card from Istanbul, this time with Hagia Sophia. It's not a new site but still an amazing addition to my UNESCO collection. This postcard took 15 days to arrive!

UNESCO #356 - Hagia Sophia, Istanbul - TURKEY
 
With its strategic location on the Bosphorus peninsula between the Balkans and Anatolia, the Black Sea and the Mediterranean, Istanbul has been associated with major political, religious and artistic events for more than 2,000 years. Its masterpieces include the ancient Hippodrome of Constantine, the 6th-century Hagia Sophia and the 16th-century Süleymaniye Mosque, all now under threat from population pressure, industrial pollution and uncontrolled urbanization.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment