Friday, November 08, 2013

Thracian Tomb of Sveshtari - BULGARIA - UNESCO #359

A very funny thing happened today - after more than 460 postcards received, I've got my first duplicate card... on the same day! Sent by different postcrossers and on different dates (but probably traveled in the same mail plane) this two copies of the Thracian Tomb found their way to my mailbox and the coincidence really made me laugh. Thank you very much Tsveti and Mariya, my Bulgarian UNESCO collection is almost done (only two more sites) and globally I now have 221 sites, only 760 to finish. This postcards took 12 and 19 days to arrive! 


UNESCO #359 - Thracian Tomb of Sveshtari - BULGARIA
 
Discovered in 1982 near the village of Sveshtari, this 3rd-century BC Thracian tomb reflects the fundamental structural principles of Thracian cult buildings. The tomb has a unique architectural decor, with polychrome half-human, half-plant caryatids and painted murals. The 10 female figures carved in high relief on the walls of the central chamber and the decoration of the lunette in its vault are the only examples of this type found so far in the Thracian lands.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment