Thursday, November 14, 2013

Prehistoric Rock Art in Foz Coa - PORTUGAL - UNESCO #866

Today I've got the 3 cards I sent to myself when in Foz Côa. I finally went to the Museum of the Prehistoric Rock Engravings (not to the actual site of the engravings though, because you have to book in advance), something I was thinking in doing for the last 15 years, but kept delaying I don't really know why - silly me, it's a amazing place (the museum is very interesting and with a nice permanent exhibit, the restaurant of the museum is fabulous and the views over Douro valley really astonishingly beautiful) and I will definitely return next spring and check the real engravings site (and maybe Siega Verde as well). About the cards, they're all vintage (that design with the white border was common in Portugal in the 80s) including a rare one with the original symbol of the museum that the lady in the shop offer me. This postcard took 6 days to arrive!

UNESCO #866 - Engravings, Foz Coa - PORTUGAL

UNESCO #866 - Prehistoric Rock Engravings, Foz Côa - PORTUGAL

Original Logo of the Museum of Prehistoric Art
 
Côa Valley and Siega Verde provide the best illustration of the iconographic themes and organization of Paleolithic rock art, using the same modes of expression in caves and in the open air, thus contributing to a greater understanding of this artistic phenomenon. Together they form a unique site of the prehistoric era, rich in material evidence of Upper Paleolithic occupation.

  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment