Monday, November 11, 2013

Santa Maria of Poblet Monastery - SPAIN - UNESCO #518

The Poblet monastery, near Tarragona in Catalunya is an impressive site. I've never been inside (it was closed when I passed by 4 years ago on my way to Barcelona) but I have a photo much alike the view on this cars Sandra sent me from location (she visited the monastery last week). Thank you very much Sandra for taking the time to drop me a postcard, rising my collection to 223, only 758 to the end. This postcard took 9 days to arrive!
 
UNESCO #518 - Poblet Monastery, Catalunya - SPAIN
  
Santa María of Poblet presents a unique blend of architectural forms generally reserved for distinct applications. It has served as one of the largest and most complete of the Cistercian abbeys, as a massive military complex, and as a royal palace, residence and pantheon of the kings of Catalonia and Aragon. It is a unique artistic achievement and one of the most perfect expressions of Cistercian style in the 12th, 13th and 14th centuries.
 

2 comments:

  1. So amazing postcard! I would like to see it with my own eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really a amazing place set in a beautiful landscape... hopefully I'll visit its interiors next summer!

    ReplyDelete