Monday, November 18, 2013

La Choucroute Alsacienne - FRANCE

This summer, when I went to France to visit my sister-in-law, I've celebrated my birthday there and in the previous months every time she asked what I want as a present my response was always "A bucket of Choucroute" - and in fact I had a mountain of Choucroute waiting for me when I got to Strasbourg, spent the whole week eating it, but no problem, because I really love this dish, specially the way they do it in Alsace (and of course washed down with a nice Riesling). To my surprise, I received this card today with a promise of another bucket when I return there. Thank you very much Belita, you really made my mouth watering all day remembering your delicious choucroute. This postcard took 3 days to arrive!
 

La Choucroute Alsacienne (Sauerkraut Garnie) - FRANCE
 
Choucroute garnie (French for dressed sauerkraut) is a famous Alsatian recipe for preparing sauerkraut with sausages and other salted meats and charcuterie, and often potatoes. Although sauerkraut is a traditionally German and Eastern European dish, the French annexation of Alsace and Lorraine following the Peace of Westphalia in 1648 brought this dish to the attention of French chefs and it has since been widely adopted in France.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment