Monday, November 04, 2013

Chartres Cathedral - FRANCE - UNESCO #81

7 postcards on my mailbox today - what a wonderful feeling coming home and having this treasures waiting for me - Postcrossing is my the best hobby ever! This one come from France and it shows one of the most impressive cathedrals I've ever visited with a massive stained-glass and a exquisite labyrinth that unfortunately I didn't walk on because on that day it was covered with chairs for a music concert. Thank you very much Nadia for this wonderful postcard. My UNESCO collection gets to 218 sites, 763 to finish. This postcard took 5 days to arrive! 
 
UNESCO #81 - La cathédrale du Chartres (Eure-et-Loir) - FRANCE
 
Partly built starting in 1145, and then reconstructed over a 26-year period after the fire of 1194, Chartres Cathedral marks the high point of French Gothic art. The vast nave, in pure ogival style, the porches adorned with fine sculptures from the middle of the 12th century, and the magnificent 12th- and 13th-century stained-glass windows, all in remarkable condition, combine to make it a masterpiece.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment