Friday, November 22, 2013

Berlin Wall - GERMANY

This is my 500th postcard received since I've started this blog in April! To be honest, when I started I never thought I would get so many in such little time, but the postcrossing addiction really stroke me and I suspect this 500 benchmark is just the begining. This card shows the infamous Berlin Wall that split the city for decades and was the graveyard of several eastern Germans that tried to runaway from the dictatorship in GDR. I remember well the day the Wall fel down and the joy I saw in all those people faces while embracing, celebrating and tearing down those stones... I felt really happy and I thought the world would learn a lesson, but unfortunately several walls have been built since then, some visible and real (Israel-Palestine, USA-México, etc) some invisible but also very real (between countries, religions, political or even between the people of one nation) - can we ever live without walls among us? I really wonder if I will live enough years to see it... Thank you very much Kerstin for this beautiful and significant card.  This postcard took 4 days to arrive!
 

Branderburg Gates behind the Wall, Berlin - GERMANY
 
The Berlin Wall was a barrier constructed by the German Democratic Republic (East Germany) starting on 13 August 1961, that completely cut off (by land) West Berlin from surrounding East Germany and from East Berlin.The barrier included guard towers placed along large concrete walls, which circumscribed a wide area (later known as the "death strip") that contained anti-vehicle trenches, "fakir beds" and other defenses. On 9 November 1989 crowds of East Germans crossed and climbed onto the wall, joined by West Germans on the other side in a celebratory atmosphere and soon after it was teared down.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment