Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Yakushima - JAPAN - UNESCO #662

The second card from Japan that reached my mailbox is from a "lost in time" place - the Yakushima forest is one of the most well preserved in the world. When I say this photo I almost immediately thought about the Miyazaki masterpiece "Princess Mononoke" and now I know that it was really Yakushima the inspiration for the sets of that awesome movie. According to the sender, the trees pictured are not the famous Japanese ceder, but Konara oaks. Thank you very much Michelle for this beautiful card from a place I believe it must be amazing to see. This is my 178th UNESCO site, only 803 to finish my collection. This postcard took 7 days to arrive!

UNESCO #662 - Yakushima - JAPAN
 
Located in the interior of Yaku Island, at the meeting-point of the palaearctic and oriental biotic regions, Yakushima exhibits a rich flora, with some 1,900 species and subspecies, including ancient specimens of the sugi (Japanese cedar). It also contains a remnant of a warm-temperate ancient forest that is unique in this region.


No comments:

Post a Comment