Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Xanthos - TURKEY - UNESCO #484

My good friend Onder sent me this great postcard from a UNESCO WHS in Turkey (today I've got four new sites to my collection, nice!). Even in a ruinous state like the picture shows, this site has a unique historical importance and I'm sure it must be a beautiful place. Thank you very much Onder for another awesome swap and for adding a 213th site to my collection - only 768 to the end.  This postcard took 19 days to arrive!
 
UNESCO #484 - Xanthos-Letoon - TURKEY
 
Xanthos directly influenced Lycia throughout antiquity, as demonstrated by the many epigraphic texts found on the two sites as well as by the remarkable funerary monuments preserved there or originating from the area, and also the neighbouring provinces. The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, is a direct descendant of the Nereid Monument at Xanthos.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment