Friday, October 18, 2013

Typical Portuguese Dishes - PORTUGAL

Just look at this amazing card Eduardo sent me - I'm literally drooling while staring at this beautiful photos of the best food in the world (if you don't believe me just ask anyone who have been in our country or even better come visit us and taste some of our traditional dishes, I promise you'll never forget it). Thank you so much Eduardo, just loved your card and I think I'll hang this in my fridge. Now if you excuse me, I must go and eat a nice "Pastel de Nata" with cinnamon on top... yummy! This postcard took 2 days to arrive!
 
Typical Portuguese Dishes - PORTUGAL
 
The Portuguese cuisine has strong Mediterranean influences as well of Portugal's former colonial possessions, especially in the wide variety of spices used. These spices include piri piri (small, fiery chilli peppers) and black pepper, as well as cinnamon, vanilla and saffron. Olive oil is one of the bases of Portuguese cuisine both for cooking and flavouring meals. Garlic is widely used, as are herbs such as coriander and parsley. A common soup is caldo verde with potato, shredded kale, and chunks of chouriço sausage. Among fish recipes, salt cod (bacalhau) dishes are pervasive. The most typical desserts are rice pudding (decorated with cinnamon) and caramel custard. The most popular pastry is the pastel de nata, a small custard tart often sprinkled with cinnamon.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment