Monday, October 07, 2013

Burial Site of Sammallahdenmäki - FINLAND - UNESCO #579

What a great day today was - four new UNESCO postcards for my collection, two of them official POSTCROSSING cards! This one with a place I think I will never be able to say its name out loud: Sammallahdenmäki! Thank you very much Soili for reading my profile and picking a UNESCO card for me... Now I have 171 different sites, 810 more and I'm done! This postcard took 6 days to arrive!
 
UNESCO #579 - Sammallahdenmäki Cemetery - FINLAND
  
The Sammallahdenmäki cairn cemetery bears exceptional witness to the society, and especially the funerary practices, of the Bronze Age of Scandinavia. The Scandinavian Bronze Age culture, 1500-500 BC, included the coastal zone of continental Finland and the land archipelago.This Bronze Age burial site features more than 30 granite burial cairns, providing a unique insight into the funerary practices and social and religious structures of northern Europe more than three millennia ago.
 
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment