Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Plitvice Lakes National Park - CROATIA - UNESCO #98

Of all the UNESCO WHS I had the chance to visit in Europe until now, Plitvice Lakes National Park in Croatia is probably the most beautiful of them all. Words cannot describe the beauty of that place... the colors, the smell, the sounds - it transmits a awesome sensation of peace and quiet. I really love that place and it was there I took the photo that I have in my profile. I finally got a Plitvice postcard in my UNESCO collection, and sent directly from there - thank you very much Jasmin, I hope you've enjoyed the visit to this astonishing place. I now have 165 sites, only 816 to finish. This postcard took 8 days to arrive!
 
UNESCO #98 - Plitvice Lakes National Park - CROATIA
 
The waters flowing over the limestone and chalk have, over thousands of years, deposited travertine barriers, creating natural dams which in turn have created a series of beautiful lakes, caves and waterfalls. These geological processes continue today. The forests in the park are home to bears, wolves and many rare bird species.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. :) it is my favourite place in the country :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks I'm not the only one loving this place! ;)

    ReplyDelete