Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Holy Trinity Column, Olomouc - CZECH REPUBLIC - UNESCO #859

This is the only card Ondřej sent me that shows a place I already have in my collection, but I'm very happy he sent it because it shows the interior of the great Holy Trinity Column and I have a thing for stone spiral staircases (I love to visit cathedral towers and climb those narrow steps, specially when we can see all the way down, like in Gaudi's "Sagrada Familia" in Barcelona for instance). This postcard took 5 days to arrive!
 
UNESCO #859 - Holy Trinity Column, Olomouc - CZECH REPUBLIC
 
This memorial column in Olomouc, erected in the early years of the 18th century, is the most outstanding example of a type of monument specific to central Europe. In the characteristic regional style known as Olomouc Baroque and rising to a height of 35 m, it is decorated with many fine religious sculptures, the work of the distinguished Moravian artist Ondrej Zahner.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment