Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Archaeological sites of the Chinchorro culture - CHILE - UNESCO TENTATIVE

After another monday without any card, today I've got two - this one came all the way from Chile and gave me the opportunity  to learn something new. It's amazing the number of things I've learn in the last months thanks to POSTCROSSING - until today I thought that mummies were a Egypt creation and the word Chinchorro was meaningless to me. I really hope this will soon be recognised by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. Thank you very much Hernán, this is a very impressive card. This postcard took 10 days to arrive!
 
Archaeological sites of Chinchorro culture - CHILE - UNESCO TENTATIVE 
 
Towards the year 7000 B.C., at the north end of Chile, some groups of hunters from the Andes start to approach the coast and to make use of the resources offered by the Pacific Ocean. These groups populated, between 6.000 and 2.000 B.C., the desert-like pampa stretching out to the sea and covering from the south of Peru to the region of Antofagasta in Chile. Near their houses, they buried many of their dead, whose bodies they wished to preserved. Thus, 3000 years before Egypt, they developed a mummification technique, creating a tradition lasting about 4000 years and which has been named Chinchorro.
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joao! How are you? I'm glad you received and liked the postcards. I do hope to find both Sewell and Humberstone soon, so I can send them to you as a free contribution to your collection. Great blog, BTW!!! Have a good day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much... I really hope you can find them! :-)

    ReplyDelete