Friday, September 27, 2013

"Portrait of Catherine and Mary Radzivill" - BELARUS

This official card was sent by Julija, a postcrosser from Belarus and it shows a portrait of two women, Catherine and Mary Radzivill,  that I bet must had some social importance in the XVII century, but incredibly I coudn't found any information on the web about them or even the Painter, J. Shretter - it's funny, the only pages about this painting available are those made by postcrossers complaining about the lack of information. But don't get me wrong, Julija, I like your postcard very much, thanks a lot - I love painting reproductions. This postcard took 21 days to arrive!
 
"Portrait of Catherine and Mary Radzivill", 1646
 
The National Art Museum of the Republic of Belarus – the largest collection of the Belarusian and foreign art within the country – is located in the centre of Minsk. It has more than 27000 works of art comprising two main representative collections: the one of national art and the other of monuments of art of the countries and nations of the world.
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. To find informations about them you need their Polish or Lithianian names =) But it's still hard to find info about Anna in English. The Radziwiłłs were Polish - Lithuanian noble family.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katarzyna_Barbara_Radziwi%C5%82%C5%82
    http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Maria_Radziwi%C5%82%C5%82
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radziwi%C5%82%C5%82

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the info Wioloszka... I remember searching the web for a long time when I got this one... and I also remember finding several other desperate bloggers that receive the same card and coudn't find nothing about them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really funny, I happend to find your entry, because I received this postcard and try to find some information about the painter! So the painter is also polish or lithuanian maybe? In any case, it's really interesting,

    ReplyDelete