Thursday, September 26, 2013

Nemrut Dağ - TURKEY - UNESCO #448

When I've arranged this direct swap I simply forgot I already have a card from this UNESCO site, but it really doesn't matter to me, since it's a different picture of this exquisite place. Thank you very much Onder for another great addition to my collection. This postcard took 7 days to arrive!
 
UNESCO #448 - Nemrut Dağ, Adiyaman - TURKEY
 
The mausoleum of Antiochus I (69–34 B.C.), who reigned over Commagene, a kingdom founded north of Syria and the Euphrates after the breakup of Alexander's empire, is one of the most ambitious constructions of the Hellenistic period. The syncretism of its pantheon, and the lineage of its kings, which can be traced back through two sets of legends, Greek and Persian, is evidence of the dual origin of this kingdom's culture.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Its my pleasure mate. I will send a completely different UNESCO site postcard from Turkey no worries.

    ReplyDelete