Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Nemrut Dağ - TURKEY - UNESCO #448

This amazing card came from Turkey and it shows a exquisite UNESCO site, Nemrut in the Adiyaman Province. I didn't knew anything about this site until today, thank you very much Nihan (I hope you can visit this place really soon like you wish) for this wonderful postcard, the 146th in my collection, only 835 to the end (I'm almost there!). This postcard took 8 days to arrive!

UNESCO #448 - Nemrut Dağ, Adiyaman - TURKEY
 
The mausoleum of Antiochus I (69–34 B.C.), who reigned over Commagene, a kingdom founded north of Syria and the Euphrates after the breakup of Alexander's empire, is one of the most ambitious constructions of the Hellenistic period. The syncretism of its pantheon, and the lineage of its kings, which can be traced back through two sets of legends, Greek and Persian, is evidence of the dual origin of this kingdom's culture.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment