Thursday, September 19, 2013

Cristo Rei, Almada - PORTUGAL

No, this card didn't came from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil but from Lisbon, Portugal... yes, we do also have a giant statue of Jesus Christ and I must thank Joana for sending me this very beautiful vintage card (from early 80s) of a place that I didn't have the opportunity to visit yet. I really like the look of vintage cards (mainly because of the highly saturated colors), one of this days I'll make a new label just for them. Thanks again Joana for the 2 cards I've received today. This postcard took 3 days to arrive!

The "Cristo Rei" Statue, Almada - PORTUGAL
 
The "Cristo Rei" (Christ the King) statue is a Catholic monument and shrine dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ overlooking the city of Lisbon in the central part of Portugal. It was inspired by the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), after the Cardinal Patriarch of Lisbon visited that monument. The giant statue in cement was erected to symbolize the gratitude the Portuguese were spared the effects of World War II and was inaugurated on 17 May 1959.

No comments:

Post a Comment