Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Altena Castle - GERMANY

I love medieval times, probably since I was a little toddler and I saw for the first time the Disney movie "The Sword in the Stone"... I know now that it was a awfull period without any of the romantic glow that appears in books and movies, but there's something about that times that still inspire me and that's why I like to go to medieval festivals - there are lots of them in Portugal. In Germany, on the little town of Altena they throw one every summer and for the look on this card, it must be great - Thanks a lot Birgit for sharing this with me. This postcard took 3 days to arrive!  
 
Medieval Festival at the Altena Castle - GERMANY
 
Altena is a town in the district of Märkischer Kreis, situated on the Lenne river valley, in the northern stretches of the Sauerland, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. The town's castle is the origin for the later Dukes of Berg. The town's biggest attraction is the castle: Burg Altena. After being un-used for centuries it was in ruins, although part of the buildings was used as a hospital. A complete restoration was undertaken in 1909 to celebrate the 300th anniversary of the Prussian incorporation of the county of Mark into Prussia (Brandenburg).
 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment