Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Sultanahmet Mosque, Istanbul - TURKEY - UNESCO #356

My first card from Turkey arrived today. Thank you very much Onder for this beautiful night view of the Sultanahmet Mosque. Istanbul is another of those cities I have in my "bucket list" since I was young and for one reason or another I still haven't visit - it's a strong possibility for the Easter school break next year. Well, this rises my UNESCO collection to 132 sites, only 849 to finish. This postcard took 9 days to arrive!

UNESCO #356 - Sultanahmet Mosque, Istanbul - TURKEY
 
With its strategic location on the Bosphorus peninsula between the Balkans and Anatolia, the Black Sea and the Mediterranean, Istanbul has been associated with major political, religious and artistic events for more than 2,000 years. Its masterpieces include the ancient Hippodrome of Constantine, the 6th-century Hagia Sophia and the 16th-century Süleymaniye Mosque, all now under threat from population pressure, industrial pollution and uncontrolled urbanization.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment