Friday, August 09, 2013

Sceilg Mhichíl Monastery - IRELAND - UNESCO #757

This German official card is my first postcard from Ireland! Ok, the sentence seems strange, but it's easy to understand - Klaus sent me from Germany this beautiful Irish UNESCO site, a 1400 years old monastery located in an isolated island. Thanks a lot Klaus, I just love your card and I'll gladly break again "the country of origin" rule and include this in my collection. Now I have 101, only 880 to finish.

UNESCO #757 - The Skellig Rocks, Sceilg Mhichíl - IRELAND
 
This monastic complex, perched since about the 7th century on the steep sides of the rocky island of Skellig Michael, some 12 km off the coast of south-west Ireland, illustrates the very spartan existence of the first Irish Christians. Since the extreme remoteness of Skellig Michael has until recently discouraged visitors, the site is exceptionally well preserved.



No comments:

Post a Comment